Re: FYI, kernel firmware non-freeness discussions

On 2/15/06, Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> wrote:
> > Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >
> > > I bet another EURO 50 (through PayPal) that Red Hat and Novell are
> > > also going to lose and won't get dismissal under 12(b)(6).
> >
> > I wish I could play, but I'm pretty sure wagering like that is illegal
> > in the jurisdiction I live :-(
>
> Oh c'mon, even in Australia where ...
>
> http://www.dcita.gov.au/broad/online_content_and_gambling_regulation/online_gambling/frequently_asked_questions
>
> ... "The Government remains concerned about the impact of online
> wagering, but recognises that this concern needs to be balanced
> against the impact of a ban on long established industries in
> Australia, such as the thoroughbred racing industry. A balance has
> been achieved by prohibiting 'ball by ball' betting-or wagering on any
> aspect of a sporting event after it has commenced. 'Betting on the
> run' is also prohibited because it involves betting on a sporting
> event after it has commenced. These types of betting are the most
> harmful form of online wagering. Other forms of online wagering are
> not prohibited by the legislation. Online wagering on non-sporting
> events is not prohibited by the IGA."
>
> See? "Online wagering on non-sporting events is not prohibited".
>
> C'mon, let's play.
>
> regards,
> alexander.

It's not prohibited, but I still think you need a license: "In other
words, a service that is exempt under the Commonwealth Interactive
Gambling Act 2001 is not necessarily exempt from State or Territory
law. Conversely, a service may be prohibited under the Commonwealth
Act, even if it is licensed or authorised under State or Territory
law." - and in NSW you need a permit.

andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan