Re: Distributing GPL software.

On 1/12/06, Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Universe won't collapse as a result, believe me.

Isaac got it:

-----
Further, my understanding is that Alexander was proposing lawfully acquiring
and distributing copies and not making new copies.  If the law requires that
a backup or adapted copy be distributed with the originals, Alexander would
do that and then acquire, at no expense, a new copy.  Rinse lather repeat.

You ask how a copy would be acquired without accepting the GPL.

I'm not aware of an expectation or requirement to accept the GPL before
downloading the software.  Free software is often made available for
downloading without any notice obtained before, during or after the download
that the copies obtained must be deleted if the GPL is not accepted.

Anyone can obtain GPLd software, and provided only that they include source
code, operate a free or paid distribution ftp site in which they allow
GPLd software to be downloaded without restriction.

Isaac
----

regards,
alexander.