Re: Rules for submitting licenses for review

On 22 Aug 2005 10:48:13 GMT, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> I wonder if the freeculture.org groups are good for this? You will find
> a range of opinions there, but other than the anti-commercial strand,
> it's not that different most of the time.

I actually find few people agree that the freedoms that apply to
software should similarly apply to other types of work, especially
digital works such as documents, images, etc. Only debian-legal really
seems to take such a stance, even if there seems to be some
disagreement with the list on this point.

Otherwise, the FSF doesn't seem to have any similar forums. The
closest thing would seem to be your own mailing list.

I would also note that the freeculture.org site seems to be down.

> > I was hoping to review the Open Game License[1]. Although not a
> > software license, it has been used in the popular PCGen software
> > application which could, hypothetically, be added to Debian at some
> > point.
> > [1] http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html
>
> I think there's a small risk in the COPYRIGHT NOTICE wording
> if someone adds adverts in it and there's a half-implementation
> of trademark law in it, but I'm not sure it's enough to block a
> work under that licence. I don't understand why it needed a new
> licence for this.

Neither do I. For future reference I would also note the OGL would seem to
have restrictions on using content in software[1] and allows the mixing of
copyleft "open" content and "closed" content in a manner similar to
the invariant sections in the FDL.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@gmail.com>