Re: Rules for submitting licenses for review

On 19/08/05, Francesco Poli <frx@winstonsmith.info> wrote:
> Granted.
> But when the question is "is the GFDL a license suitable to release free
> documentation?" their answer is very different from our...  :-(

That's the main reason I came to debian-legal first. If someone could
point me in the direction of a more appropriate forum I would be most
grateful.

> We have so *few* DFSG-free non-programs, that I don't consider this as a
> minor issue...
> I'm worried about this possible scenario:
>
> * a user comes to us seeking for license analysis or recommendation
> * we tell her "if you are not talking about a Debian (prospective)
>     package, go away"
> * she finds another 'forum' and follows their analyses and
>     recommendations
> * sooner or later she becomes an author and writes something useful
> * she chooses the license based on what she was recommended
> * many other people contribute to her work
> * an RFP or ITP is filed against that work in the Debian BTS
> * it's time for debian-legal to check the license
> * ouch! the work does not comply with the DFSG: must be rejected from
>     main
> * it's too late to persuade people to relicense: another work is lost
>
> Maybe we could have talked to her earlier in this process...  :-(

I was hoping to review the Open Game License[1]. Although not a
software license, it has been used in the popular PCGen software
application which could, hypothetically, be added to Debian at some
point.

--
Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladwell@gmail.com>

[1] http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html