Re: Rules for submitting licenses for review

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:48:13AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I was hoping to review the Open Game License[1]. Although not a
> > software license, it has been used in the popular PCGen software
> > application which could, hypothetically, be added to Debian at some
> > point.
> > [1] http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html
>
> I think there's a small risk in the COPYRIGHT NOTICE wording
> if someone adds adverts in it and there's a half-implementation
> of trademark law in it, but I'm not sure it's enough to block a
> work under that licence. I don't understand why it needed a new
> licence for this.

Because they where trying to ride the "open source is cool" wave with their
gaming stuff, and people have been bothering them for ages about stuff like
pcgen and others. They don't really come from the software community though,
so probably didn't even consider the free software licences. Probably pushed
for creation of NWN content and such also.

Friendly,

Sven Luther