Re: Clarification regarding PHP License and DFSG status

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 10:39:05PM +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On 11/25/05, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > "PHP scripts are derivative works of PHP" sounds like someone misinterpreted
> > the FSF's claims, and ended up believing that the source of a program is a
> > derivative work of its libraries.  (That, unlike the FSF's claims, seems
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Unlike?
>
> http://web.novalis.org/talks/compliance-for-developers/slide-49.html
>
> "Still a derivative work:
>
>     * Distributing the source code of software which links to a library"
>
>                            -- Copyright (c) 2004, Free Software Foundation.

I can't find anything in those slides which provides a basis for that claim,
and the technical issues surrounding such a claim are very complex.  I'd be
interested to see a video or something of a talk associated with these
slides, to see if there's any additional context which the speaker provides
to back up this claim.  As it stands, this looks like a line the author
pickup around the office koolaid-cooler.

- Matt