Re: Is this license DFSG free?

On Saturday 11 June 2005 03:21 pm, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> Sean Kellogg wrote:
> > Well now, this strikes me as a problem....  from a political science
> > perspective (my undergrad degree).  Debian-legal, a self-appointed group
> > of various legal, political, an philosophical stripes, is making
> > substantive policy decisions based on thin air?
>
> No. Debian-legal does not make policy decisions. Debian-legal advises
> the ftp-masters, who make the actual policy decisions (and, it does seem
> that they generally agree with our advice).

> The ftp-masters are appointees of the elected project leader.

Well, that's certainly a great deal better, structurally.  I guess I've never
really seen any ftp-master discussion on this list...  but then again, I
don't know their names, so I wouldn't really know who was who.  But at least
there is some amount of accountability.

The fact remains that it is far too easy to criticize d-l if operations
continue under this system.  I've been on this list for almost 4 years, with
special attention ever since I entered law school...  I know the sort of
round-and-round fights that go on here that later get presented in FAQ's as
consensus.

As I said, I've never actually heard an ftp-master agree or disagree with the
list...  but if I were in their position I would have a hard time accepting
advice from a forum who can't point to language that backs their claim.

> [And, FYI, if you check the mailing list's archives, you'll find that
> the currenty project leader helped in drafting some of those tests. So,
> I suppose, we could probably ask him to give those tests the project's
> official blessing. However, there does not seem to be any need to do so.]

Yes, I know that he was involved with developing these tests, and I know that
he takes a very expansive view of the DFSG.  My point is not to impinge on
the good leader's opinions...  only to note that a poor organizational
structure can still come to good decisions.  More importantly, the DPL does
not have  authority to state that these tests are extensions of the DFSG.  I
may not be a DD, but I have read the Constitution :)

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
2nd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown