Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On 6/11/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> In this case, I'm wondering if I should think of that L as standing
> for "Lawyer' or "Linus"...

I'm not Linus, either.  I'm a pretty decent programmer, although I've
certainly produced no evidence that I'm in his league.  And besides,
he's more diplomatic than I'll ever be; which, considering how
undiplomatic he can be at times, is saying quite a bit.  :-)

Cheers,
- Michael

P. S. Note, however, that the Linux kernel is a derivative work of
works by some other authors, such as netfilter/iptables.  I don't mean
to say that no one but Linus can file a claim of copyright
infringement or breach of contract against someone who is doing
genuinely inappropriate things with the kernel and friends (cf. the
Sitecom and Fortinet cases).  But in order to demonstrate standing,
they're going to have to identify a work of authorship, not totally
subsumed in the Linux kernel development process, on which their
contribution rises to the level of co-author, as Harald Welte did with
respect to netfilter/iptables.