Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:57:47PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> What's "the public domain" in the context of UK / European law?

I don't know, as I am neither a lawyer nor a European. However, I assume
there is some concept of a work which has passed out of copyright (due
to time limitations). What is that called? What are the rights of
individuals with respect to that work?

> It is useful to have explicit permission to use freely for
> commercial/governmental/not for profit and personal and private use
> for example.

Is use actually restricted by copyright? If you receive a copy of
software lawfully, are you not free to copy, run, modify, or
reverse-engineer it?  See the 1991 European Software Directive, for
example.

-Peff