Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:33:43PM -0400, Anonymous wrote:

> Perhaps I was not clear that I do not intend to use this licence. I have
> noted that there have been at least ten requests for a licence that has for
> all intents and purposes no restrictions. a public domain licence. I was
> just offering such a licence.
> If you don't belive me that may people have requested such a licence look
> up these message ids:
> 1117160296.9411.55.camel@localhost.localdomain
> Pine.LNX.4.62.0504150531460.5647@coredump.intra.peff.net

The latter message is from me. I am looking for such a license, as I am
trying to avoid ridiculous license propagation. My ideal license would
be in one of two forms:
  - a common PD-ish license for which users can say "Oh, the PD license"
    and know what it means (as we do now for the BSD, MIT, and GPL
    licenses)
  - a license so short that one can look at it and know what it means
    (e.g., "X is dedicated to the public domain", "X may be
    redistributed in any form without restriction").

The consensus I seem to read from debian-legal is that the second type
can't exist, because we have to list everything explicitly or our evil
heirs can revoke it.

-Peff