Re: The Nutch Software License

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:22:09PM +0100, Luca Brivio wrote:
> > As someone said, this is the old Apache license.  "XXX may not appear
> > in the name of derivative works" is ugly and over-reaching; I think it
> > should be considered non-free (it clearly exceeds DFSG#4), but I don't
> > feel strongly enough to make a fuss about it.  I really wish people
> > would stop using this license; it's one thing Apache has given free
> > software that it really was better without ...
>
> I think they used that license for that something of their source
> derives from Apache software. There was an actual difference if they did
> adopt the new 'Apache License' (Version 2.0, January 2004)?

Sorry if I was unclear.  The Apache 1.1 license (which this is based on)
is considered free--it can go in main.  It would be nice if propagation of
this license could be avoided by switching to a better one--it's not the
best license, with the problems I and Matthew mentioned--but there's
currently no requirement to do so to go in Debian.

--
Glenn Maynard