Re: The Nutch Software License

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:45:44 -0500
Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:49:09PM +0100, Luca Brivio wrote:
> > Is this license DFSG-free? I ask you that because I sent a RFP for
> > nutch...
> >
> > http://www.nutch.org/LICENSE.txt
>
> For the archive record (please always include license texts, not just
> a link):

Sorry, it was the first time that I posted on debian-legal... I was a
bit confused ;-)

> As someone said, this is the old Apache license.  "XXX may not appear
> in the name of derivative works" is ugly and over-reaching; I think it
> should be considered non-free (it clearly exceeds DFSG#4), but I don't
> feel strongly enough to make a fuss about it.  I really wish people
> would stop using this license; it's one thing Apache has given free
> software that it really was better without ...

I think they used that license for that something of their source
derives from Apache software. There was an actual difference if they did
adopt the new 'Apache License' (Version 2.0, January 2004)?

--
Luca Brivio

Web:		http://icebrook.altervista.org
Jabber:		lucab83@jabber.org

"Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto" (P. Terentius Afer)