anonymity and copyright in the U.S. (was: Need to Identify Contributions and the Dissident Test)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:36:40PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Copyright notices can use aliases, right? I don't know anything
> > about how enforcable that renders that person's copyright claim, but
> > I don't think it renders the license invalid.
>
> At least in the US, the copyright would still be enforceable if they
> actually wrote the software, since a copyright notice is no longer
> required. (Well, ignoring the effect upon statutory damages.)
>
> However, an improper copyright + licensing notice could make the
> license itself invalid (or at least questionable) since it wouldn't be
> a clear statement from the copyright holder that they licensed a work
> appropriately.

Any Stephen King fans here?

Anyone have access to any copies of his Richard Bachman novels from before
it was disclosed that Richard Bachman was a nom de plume of Stephen King?

As should be well-known, Stephen King is a money machine.  I find it hard
to believe he'd have published under a pen name if to do so would have
meant exposing himself to claims of fraudulent copyright.

For a more recent example, see the novel _Primary Colors_[1].

[1] http://www.bearcave.com/bookrev/primary_colors.htm

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.