Re: The Nutch Software License
On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 09:49:09PM +0100, Luca Brivio wrote:
> Is this license DFSG-free? I ask you that because I sent a RFP for
For the archive record (please always include license texts, not just
* The Nutch Software License, Version 1.0
* Copyright (c) 2003 The Nutch Organization. All rights reserved.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
* the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
* 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution,
* if any, must include the following acknowledgment:
* "This product includes software developed by the
* Nutch Organization (http://www.nutch.org/)."
* Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
* if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.
* 4. The names "Nutch" and "Nutch Organization" must
* not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
* software without prior written permission. For written
* permission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Nutch",
* nor may " Nutch " appear in their name, without prior written
* permission of the Nutch Organization.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
* INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
* FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
* NUTCH ORGANIZATION OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
* INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
* LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA,
* OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
* LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
* NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE,
* EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
* This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many individuals
* on behalf of the Nutch Organization. For more information on the Nutch
* Organization, please see <http://www.nutch.org/>.
* This product includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation
As someone said, this is the old Apache license. "XXX may not appear in the
name of derivative works" is ugly and over-reaching; I think it should be
considered non-free (it clearly exceeds DFSG#4), but I don't feel strongly
enough to make a fuss about it. I really wish people would stop using this
license; it's one thing Apache has given free software that it really was
better without ...