Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:52:29PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> It seems to me that "mere aggregation" must be the smallest idea that
> is still aggregation.

What is "the smallest idea"?  Do you mean "the least restrictive idea"?
For example: both pieces of software happen to exist at some point in time
in the same universe?  Or do you litterally mean "the smallest", as in
"the physical distance separating the pieces of software must be no more
than epsilon, where epsilon is on the order of a tenth of a millimeter"?

I'm guessing that you're thinking that when the GPL says "mere
aggregation" you're thinking that it's defining multiple classes of
aggregation, and where the "mere" class is unrestricted but some other
"big" class is restricted.

To me "mere aggregation" seems to mean "aggregation that's just
aggregation and not a reflection of some form of modification".

> It's not necessary to look in great detail at what *is* going on there
> -- it's enough to say that there is more there, so it's not merely
> aggregation.  It's aggregation and something else.

This doesn't mean that you can ignore those details.  The GPL
only restricts certain things and it REQUIRES that other things be
unrestricted.

If you claim that something which the GPL requires to be unrestricted
makes something be not "mere aggregation", you are in direct opposition
to the GPL.

--
Raul