Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:21:23PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> The kernel has an exemption.  This has been pointed out more than
> once.

Irrelevant:

The kernel supplies kernel-specific #include files which are incorporated
into C program.

Kaffe doesn't supply any such thing -- no one has identified any GPL'd
content which is a part of Eclipse.

Some people have implied that the byte-code output which Kaffe generates
is GPL'd content, but they've not said why this would be, and the GPL
clearly states that program output must be considered on a case by case
basis -- that whether or not program output is GPLed depends on what
the program does.

But no one thinks that Kaffe puts any GPLed content into its output,
when compiling (or running) Eclipse.

> > > Now, it is true that Eclipse will run with other JVMs.  But if they
> > > are not on the CD, then it doesn't matter.  The GPL cares about what
> > > it is distributed with, not about stuff it could be distributed with.
> > > And the only thing allowed on the CD is stuff in main, because this
> > > whole argument is over whether Eclipse can go into main.  Not whether
> > > Eclipse is distributable at all.
> >
> > The other VMs are on that CD, because they are in main already.

As I said before "... it doesn't matter."

> There are no JVM's on that CD that will run Eclipse.

Irrelevant.  We distribute the full source for Kaffe.

The OS exeption would only be useful under certain cases where we did
not distribute the full source to Kaffe (for example, if we distributed
a version of Debian which was hosted on some other proprietary OS).

--
Raul