Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Brian Thomas Sniffen writes:

> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:43:08PM -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> >> But none in Debian main.  People seem to be missing the point, so I
> >> will repeat: I am not saying that Eclipse is not distributable, just
> >> that it can't go into main.
> >
> > That's easy to say.  It's much harder to back up.
> >
> > The distinction between main and not-main is purely a DFSG issue.  The GPL
> > doesn't care about this distinction at all.
>
> Not true.  The GPL prohibits distributing bundled copies of GPL'd and
> GPL-incompatible works, if they are more tightly coupled than mere
> aggregation.  That is, the Debian OS is a work.  It contains copies of
> Kaffe and Eclipse.  They are interdependent, more closely related
> than, say, Eclipse and isync.  Thus, they must both be distributed
> under the terms of the GPL.

Why?  As you say, the Debian OS is a work, and it is designed to
coordinate between its various components in a more useful fashion
than if the component works had been merely aggregated.  If your
interpretation of "mere aggregation" is correct, that means *all* of
Debian must be GPL-compatible.

But perhaps the GPL does not say what you claim.

>From section 0:

  The "Program", below, refers to any such program or work, and a
  "work based on the Program" means either the Program or any
  derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work
  containing the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with
  modifications and/or translated into another language.

>From section 2:

  In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
  Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
  volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
  work under the scope of this License.

As has been settled on this list, Eclipse is not a derivative of Kaffe
and does not contain any copyright-protected portion of Kaffe.  It is
possible to claim that "Eclipse+Kaffe" is a work based on Kaffe, but
by the same argument, "Debian" is a work based on Kaffe, and the
rational interpretation is that both cases are mere aggregation.

Michael Poole