Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 01:39:09PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> But what ends up on the user's Debian system when he types "apt-get
> install eclipse; eclipse" is a program incorporating a JVM and many
> libraries.  Debian's not just distributing Eclipse or just
> distributing Kaffe -- the idea is that we'll be distributing the
> Debian OS which includes both, linked together.

True, but to the degree that Eclipse is a pure java application, it's
portable to arbitrary interpreter X because the interpreter is designed
to deal with Java, not because of the Eclipse developers have ported it
to that interpreter.

If there's going to be an issue here, it's going to have to be some
kind of special Eclipse dependency on Kaffe where Eclipse does stuff
with Kaffe which it doesn't do with any of the other JVMs.

Given the way the dependencies are expressed, Kaffe isn't a requirement
at any stage of the process.  As far as the dependencies are concerned,
these are all equivalent:

build with Kaffe, run with Kaffe
build with Kaffe, run on something else
build with something else, run on Kaffe
build with something else, run on something else

This alone suggests that there's no special Kaffe requirement.

That it's a java app suggests that there's no special Kaffe requirement.

That Kaffe explicitly contains a permission to run non-GPLed java code
suggests that there's nothing going wrong here.

If there actually is something going wrong, I'd really like for someone
to spell out what it is in some fashion which addresses the above points.

Personally, it doesn't seem to matter what direction I look at this
issue -- everything looks ok.

--
Raul