Re: GPL on rendered images

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:47:07PM +0100, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Well, lets make it practical. netPanzer is in both Debian testing and
> unstable, it is full of sprites which are based on 3d models, the 3d
> models files itself however are not distributed with it and most likly
> never will be since they got lost over the years. So how to handle it?
>
> a) declare that the images as they are are 'enough' to be considered
>    'prefered form of modification' and leave it as it is

If the 3d models were available, I imagine they'd be the preferred form
for modification.

Since they're not available, through neglect, I don't see that they're
preferred.

> b) consider it a violation of the GPL and no longer distribute it

If someone had the 3d models and they considered the sprites to be
derived works based on those models, then we'd have to go for option b).

But you seem to be saying that this isn't the case.

--
Raul