Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

Scripsit Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>

> After looking at this for a bit, and thinking about it, it looks like
> the shareware is a distribution charge, which is allowed under the
> GPL.

There is still the point that the shareware binaries presumably
contain some code to check their time limit. Under the GPL, the
time-limit-checking code then has to be available in source form.
The comments in this thread indicate that this is not the case.

Now, why anyone would *want* time-limit-checking source code if
unencumbered source is available is beyond me. But our inability to
figure out why people might want to do this or that has never been a
valid argument on this list.

--
Henning Makholm                "Nu kommer han. Kan du ikke høre knallerten?"