Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:07:00PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 03:19:41PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> > Note: source is GPL, but for windoze binaries it is *required*
> > a registration.
>
> After looking at this for a bit, and thinking about it, it looks like
> the shareware is a distribution charge, which is allowed under the GPL.

If what the original author wanted to do was use the distribution-charge
allowances to recoup costs for sending out Windows copies, he can add
a front end to his webpage: "paypal me $5 and I'll let you download the
binary and complete source under the GPL (and you can distribute it all
you want from there, since it doesn't cost me money)".  I think this is
what you're describing, and is perfectly valid under the GPL--but it isn't
shareware.

What he appears to actually be doing is: "here's the binary and partial
source; if you want to keep using it after a while, send me $5 and I'll
unlock it for you".  This is shareware; "partial source" is the GPL
violation.

--
Glenn Maynard