Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

Scripsit Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu>

> You're not considering all the cases.  It is true that Debian's
> license to the original works persists.  But we won't have a license
> to the derivative work, because the upstream author didn't have the
> right to prepare that work, much less license it.

Are you arguing that the GPL fails the Tentacles of Evil test?

Your position seems to be that anyone who has derived some GPL'ed
software B from other people's GPL'ed work A can retrospectively
revoke the GPL license for B by offering a shareware version of it (in
breach of the license terms for A).

If that is true we will have to remove from main all GPL'ed programs
whose current maintainer is not their sole author.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

--
Henning Makholm                    "They want to be natural, the anti-social
                                 little beasts. They just don't realize that