Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> It does pose a direct problem for Debian, as we may not have a valid
> GPL license grant from upstream -- because *his* license under the GPL
> may have been revoked.

  GPL §4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the
  Program except as expressly provided under this License. [...]
  parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this
  License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such
  parties remain in full compliance.

And:

  GPL §6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on
  the Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from
  the original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program
  subject to these terms and conditions.

As you can see, the grant comes from the original licensor to Debian,
and actions taken by the upstream do not affect our license, so long
as we remain in full compliance.

So while upstream is likely violating the GPL for works which upstream
does not hold the copyright for, that violation doesn't pose a risk
for Debian so long as Debian isn't violating the GPL.

Don Armstrong

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"