Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:39:18AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Assuming the upstream author has properly licensed upstream's
> > contributions under the GPL, we can distribute those contributions so
> > long as we comply with the terms of the GPL. [There is an argument
> > that the upstream author can't actually distribute upstream's
> > contributions under the GPL, but I'd suggest that even if this is the
> > case, if we can comply with the GPL, we should be able to distribute
> > it ourselves.]
> This is very confusing.  Can you please distinguish between the two
> upstream authors in a way other than calling one "upstream" and the
> other "upstream author"?

Sorry about that. There's only one thing here: "upstream's
contributions" (ie, those things written by the upstream author that
form a derivative work in combination with other GPLed works.)

[In retrospect, I should have worded this better to avoid confusion
between contributions to upstream, and the work(s) that upstream has

Don Armstrong

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
 -- Mark Twain