Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:39:18AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Assuming the upstream author has properly licensed upstream's
> > contributions under the GPL, we can distribute those contributions so
> > long as we comply with the terms of the GPL. [There is an argument
> > that the upstream author can't actually distribute upstream's
> > contributions under the GPL, but I'd suggest that even if this is the
> > case, if we can comply with the GPL, we should be able to distribute
> > it ourselves.]
>
> This is very confusing.  Can you please distinguish between the two
> upstream authors in a way other than calling one "upstream" and the
> other "upstream author"?

Sorry about that. There's only one thing here: "upstream's
contributions" (ie, those things written by the upstream author that
form a derivative work in combination with other GPLed works.)

[In retrospect, I should have worded this better to avoid confusion
between contributions to upstream, and the work(s) that upstream has
written.]

Don Armstrong

--
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on
society.