Re: xchat is now shareware in windoze

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> If it were a compilation, that would be fine.  But in many cases --
> including this one, I think -- it's not.  We have a license to the
> original work from the original author, and to the derivative work
> from the upstream.  But the original author also has a copyright on
> the derivative work, and we have no license to it from him.

The original author has a copyright on his work that is included in
the derivative work, not a copyright on the derivative work itself.

Because of the way GPL §6 is worded, our license always stems from the
original licensor, not the person who is doing the distribution or
modification.

If this is still a problem, perhaps try asking licensing@gnu.org? I'm
fairly certain that I'm interpreting this reasonably, but they are the
ones who interpret the GPL on a daily basis.

Don Armstrong

--
Quite the contrary; they *love* collateral damage. If they can make
you miserable enough, maybe you'll stop using email entirely. Once

Craig Dickson in <20020909231134.GA18917@linux700.localnet>