Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> I find badly written perl approximately as hard to deal with as
>> brainfuck. Do you believe that poor quality perl is non-free, or is the
>> motive of the author important?
>
> I think it really depends on situation and context, and it is unlikely
> that accidental obfuscation -- like badly written Perl -- will or
> should ever keep something out of Debian.

So freedom is more based on motivation than practicalities?

>> I'd also suggest that this thread be moved to debian-project. It's more
>> of a discussion of the DFSG than of licenses.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with discourse on -project to post there, sorry.

There is no discourse of any significance on -project at present. Of the
existing lists it's the right place to be having this discussion.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org