Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> And I suspect the population of lisp maintainers who believe that the
>> feature macros are a grave mistake or that the path-name standards are
>> only still there because X3J13 insisted is greater than in the
>> developer population at large.  That's because experts tend to have
>> detailed opinions about their field of expertise.
>
> You don't appear to be arguing against the idea that debian-legal is
> extreme compared to the rest of the project.

I'm arguing that what you perceive as extremism is simply the presence
of knowledge -- sure, the debian-legal regulars have opinions about
licenses.  The X Strike Force probably has opinions about windowing
systems and weird architectures.  That doesn't make XSF or D-L
extremists, though.  To characterize anyone with knowledge and the
reasoned opinions that spring from it as an extremist is unwise; to
dismiss them because of this extremism is to restrict yourself to the
opinions of the unwise.

-Brian