Re: Visualboy Advance question.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 08:12:52AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Andrew Suffield wrote:

> >>Is it illegal if I own a game cartridge, and dump it? That part
> >>probably isn't; US copyright law, at least, give me permission to make
> >>a backup copy.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any relevant precedents, but at least some of the big
> > console companies have stated in the past that (a) this is okay, and
> > (b) it doesn't have to be a dump of *your* cartridge either - you just
> > have to own one.
>
> Really?  I would be interested to know which console companies, since
> most of them try to pretend that emulation is always illegal.

Sega at least; they have even participated in the development of
emulators for various console platforms (notably including the
megadrive). If you ask the subsidiary "Sega of America, Inc." you'll
probably get a contradictory answer though.

Nintendo are the only ones I'm aware of that try to pretend console
emulators aren't legal (sheer sophistry though; they claim outright
"this thing is illegal because it can be used for illegal purposes").

Sony have given a stream of conflicting messages about the playstation
platforms. Their legal efforts focus on copyright (bios image) and
patent issues. They are in a rather uncomfortable position, because it
was the "Sony vs Universal Studios" case that said VHS recorders are
legal - they don't really want to disrupt that.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |