Re: Visualboy Advance question.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:47:53 -0400 Evan Prodromou wrote:

> > Perhaps my choice of words was poor, but I think that emulators fall
> > into their own class of software because they rely on what is
> > generally commercial, non-free (and honestly, quite probably
> > illegal) software in order to run, which is why they fall into
> > contrib.
>
> I guess I'm just not sure I buy that an emulator is materially
> different from a script interpreter, DFSG-wise.

I agree: they are not conceptually different from interpreters or JVMs
or image viewers or audio/video players, and so on.

They don't depend on ROM images: it's quite the opposite instead!
ROM images depend on an appropriate emulator to be executed.

$ python
Python 2.1.3 (#1, Sep  7 2002, 15:29:56)
[GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
>>> {Ctrl-D}
$

This interpreter runs perfectly fine, even without any script to
execute...
>From an interpreter point of view, a script is just data to process.

Similarly Kaffe would be in main even if there were no DFSG-free Java
programs available (correct me if I'm wrong).
A Java program cannot go in main if it cannot be executed by a DFSG-free
JVM, because it depends on a JVM (or on a JIT compiler or on a
java-to-native-code-compiler such as GJC).

I think that DFSG-free emulators should be in main as long as they don't
*depend* on non-free packages.
Usefulness is, IMHO, a completely different matter.

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,