Re: Software, vegetable, mineral, was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Fedor Zuev wrote:
>>Maybe neither, both or firmware.  I don't really know what you mean.
>
> Is DFSG extends to cases when program distributed deep inside a
> consumer electronics (like a clocks, telephones, VCR, etc.)?

If we start distributing clocks (xclock), telephones
(asterisk|bayonne), and VCRs (xine) then the program inside would have
to be free under the DFSG or distributed in non-free.

Since everything that we distribute in Debian (the distribution) is
considered to be software (and we don't distribute hardware for
reasons of practicality) I fail to see what your line of questioning
is driving at.

If you really feel that we should consider parts of Debian to not be
covered under the DFSG, you need to find a DD who feels the same way
and propose a well worded GR to -project to change the social contract
and DFSG to reflect that wording and understanding.

Until that point, this whole discussion is well nigh meaningless.[1]
[I'd suggest reading Wittgenstien's _Blue Book_ instead.]

Don Armstrong
1: Which makes one wonder why I'm even bothering to respond.
--
My spelling ability, or rather the lack thereof, is one of the wonders
of the modern world.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu