Software, vegetable, mineral, was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On 2003-09-26 08:04:12 +0100 Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> wrote:

0) Is printed Emacs Manual in bookstore a software or hardware?

Not necessarily either.

1) Is Emacs Manual recorded on CD-Audio a software or hardware?

Not necessarily either, but I forget exactly what CD-Audio is.

2) Is Debian/main printed as book a software or hardware?

It is a physical representation of software.

3) Why? What differs from 0,1?

It differs from 1 in that it is easily readable by a computer to produce software.

4) Is Debian/main printed into punch-cards a software or hardware?

It is a physical representation of software.

5) Why? What differs from 0,1,2?

It is software written to punch cards.

6) Is Debian/main written on CD-ROM a software or hardware?

Physical representation of software.

7) Why? What differs from 0, 1,2,4?

Similar to answer 5.

8)Is Debian logo written on [cover of] the same CD-ROM software or
hardware?

Not necessarily either.

9) Why? What differs from 0, 1, 2, 4, 6?

See 3.

10) Is Debian installation, hardcoded into embedded system software
or hardware?

Maybe neither, both or firmware.  I don't really know what you mean.

11) Why? What differs from 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8?

It sounds like a piece of hardware designed to produce software.

12) Does DFSG extends to computer programs, when they are not loaded
into computer memory? (For example what about program, which is
freely distributable only over Internet?)

Incomprehensible question.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at