Re: Software, vegetable, mineral, was: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On 2003-09-29 18:03:09 +0100 Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> wrote:

	So, your new, corrected, definition of "software" [...]

Wrong. My preferred definition of software has been close to Tukey's first use in print for quite some time. Designs of hardware held on computer hardware are quite likely to be software (but I reserve the right to exclude pathological cases).

Your reply bordered on a flame. Seeing as you did not bother to answer most of the questions put to you, I will not continue answering your questions if I think you are clearly trying to score points instead of seek clarification.

        But Debian Logo IS "easily readable by a computer". As
physical process, reading Debian/main data using CD-ROM drive is
quite similar to reading Debian Logo using scanner.

Please tell me how I get an completely perfect reproduction of the debian logo through print and scanning, using my commodity printer and scanner. I think it can't be done. Trying to claim that scanners and CD-ROMs are equally good at reading data is very unusual.

	Is DFSG extends to cases when program distributed deep
inside a consumer electronics (like a clocks, telephones, VCR,
etc.)?

It's not relevant, as consumer electronic devices are not in Debian. I expect the DFSG could be applied to their software, though.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at