Re: There was never a chance of a "GFDL compromise"

In chiark.mail.debian.legal, you wrote:
>    If the whole doc was DFSG free, I believe no Debian maintainer
>    would remove the political statements one could find in it.
>
>Two people have just said they would remove any essay that cannot
>be modified.

If the *whole* doc was DFSG free, we would have no reason to remove the
political statements. If the document contained unmodifiable essays that
could be removed, we would be forced to remove them in order to maintain
our commitments under the DFSG. This is not because we wish to remove
your political statements - it is because we do not wish Debian to
contain unmodifiable information outside that which is required by law.

Where would our incentive to remove or modify modifiable political
essays be? It's not a freedom we wish to exercise. It's a freedom that
we wish our users to have.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org