Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
> The words of the social contract clearly equate software to programs.

Only Social Contract #5 even mentions programs, and that particular
tenent of the social contract is one that will likely be removed (or
at least an attempt made to remove) via GR in the near future.

Regardless, our interpretation of the DFSG and the social contract
have not changed much in at least the past 3 years or so. [Probably
even longer than that, but I didn't follow Debian as closely then.]

> But Debian contains essays, logos, and licenses that cannot be
> modified.

If you are aware of the existence of unmodifyable essays and logos in
debian main, please file an RC bug against the package in question.

As far as licenses, if it is a unmodifyable license that is not
required for the distribution of a piece of software, then it too
should not be distributed in main.

> These are not programs; are they software?

Again, for the purpose of inclusion in Debian, they are treated as
software.

Don Armstrong

--
It has always been Debian's philosophy in the past to stick to what
makes sense, regardless of what crack the rest of the universe is

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu