Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 04:47:34PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On Monday, Sep 8, 2003, at 16:12 US/Eastern, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> >>
> >>How is that unambiguously non-free under DFSG 1? DFSG clearly speaks
> >>only of the license.
> >
> >The subject under discussion is a license which prohibits distribution
> >on DRM media.
>
> The GPL prohibits us from distributing Debian on orange peels or
> probably even punch cards, because that's not "on a medium customarily
> used for software interchange."

This is false.

The GPL requires that we distribute source to some parts of Debian on
"a medium customarily used for software interchange". It definitely
does not prohibit us from also distributing it on other things.

The (intended) GFDL, on the other hand, explicitly prohibits us from
distributing on certain things.

(I already said this once; one is an inclusion, and the other is an
exclusion).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |