Re: Is the OSL DFSG free?

* Glenn Maynard <g_deb@zewt.org> [030903 11:36]:
> No.  Proprietary software authors don't not use GPL code because they
> prefer not to.  They don't use it because the GPL prohibits them from
> doing so.

Except when proprietary code from other parties is involved (which
is just a special form of licence incompatibility), nothing in
GPL prohibits anything seriously. When distibuting, you have to
distribute a bit more (the source). And you cannot limit other people
more on the code than you are limited.

> Free t-shirts are irrelevant.  The GPL very deliberately
> discriminates against proprietary software, [...]

It doesn't dicriminate more than any human rights law discriminates
against people torturing humans. This much too broad meaning of
"discriminate" just makes no sense. With this anything is
discriminating. (As for example giving away free t-shirts)

> We just can't read DFSG#6 that broadly.

So you want to say one should limit its reading to
something unreasonable small, because one could also
read it unreadonable broad?

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.