Re: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Fedor Zuev wrote to Jeremy Hankins:

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Jeremy Hankins wrote:

>[I'm taking this off-list, as this is no longer really relevant
>there.]

>Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> writes:

>> When FSF include Sun RPC code, that code was licensed to FSF under
>> Sun RPC license, not under GPL. So, GPL irrelevant there.

>If someone takes GPL code and Sun RPC code and puts them together to
>form a new work that work is what's known as a derived work.

	It is not very accurate defintion. Simply "puts them
together" do not always create derivative work.

>*Both* licenses must be simultaneously satisfied in order for the
>resulting (derived) work to be distributed.

	No. *Both* license is irrelevant there. *Only* license to
the combined derived work is relevant.

	Not _you_, not _distributors_ or _users_ of GLIBC, but only
GLIBC _developers_ should satisfy the terms of Sun RPC license.