Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     It's true that many have gladly taken GNU software while ignoring the
>     GNU philosophy (or actively working against it).  But I doubt that
>     invariant sections alone can ensure that the message will be heard.
>
> Such things are very hard to estimate.

Indeed.  From your point of view, the benefit of invariant sections
surely outweighs the inconvenience (or restriction of freedom) the
users face.  I don't think the equation works out this way.

(Disclaimer: I still think that Debian should distribute documents
which wouldn't be DFSG-free software if they were software (such as
GFDLed manuals with invariant sections or various logos), but at the
same time, I consider GFDL invariant sections an unnecessary burden.)

> What is clear is that one does not use a viewer program to read a
> manual published on paper.

I could print the invariant sections and the GFDL on pieces of paper
separate from the main book.  Recipients would probably throw them
away.

However, such hypothetical arguments won't get us anywhere.