Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Then why not go the Reiser[3] way and require that an
>     advertisement for the Free Software movement be printed out at
>     every interactive invocation of a GNU derived GPLed program?
>
> A long message at startup would be very inconvenient, simply for
> being long, regardless of its meaning.  A section of the same length
> in a manual would not cause any such inconvenience.  Nobody is
> "heavily affected" by a few extra pages in a large manual.

For large manuals yes, but when the extra pages approaches (or
exceeds) the order of the content containing pages, it starts becoming
inconvenient, and in some cases prohibitory.

I, and, to a large extent, other members of this list, are concerned
that, beyond the non-trivial freedom aspects, texts under the GFDL
will begin to suffer the same fate that code licensed under the
4-clause BSD license has. [I'm sure you're familiar with
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html but I'll provide it just in
case others aren't.]

Don Armstrong

--
Sentenced to two years hard labor (for sodomy), Oscar Wilde stood
handcuffed in driving rain waiting for transport to prison.  "If this

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu