Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:
> These facts have not prevented the open source movement from quite
> effectively covering up what we stand for, and our movement's very
> existence.  They cannot make any specific person forget, but they
> have led most US journalists to deny our existence, so that most
> people never find out about us.

The ineptitude of many US journalists continues to increase without
bounds.[1] They often report on what they don't understand, or what
they haven't read. Frankly, they are the second to last people who
would ever read GFDL'ed documentation, let alone the GNU Manifesto
within some of the same.[2]

> We need every method of informing them that we can get.

Then why not go the Reiser[3] way and require that an advertisement
for the Free Software movement be printed out at every interactive
invocation of a GNU derived GPLed program?

While the intention of spreading the word about the free software
movement is laudable, the people most heavily affected by these
methods are often free software's staunchest, although often not the
most outspoken, supporters.

Don Armstrong

1: I refer you to Fox News and MSNBC for rather depressing examples of
the same.
2: I'd imagine that people who can't read would be the last, but I
could have the order wrong.
3: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200304/msg01295.html
--
You could say she lived on the edge... Well, maybe not exactly on the edge,
just close enough to watch other people fall off.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu