Re: A possible GFDL compromise

    > We need every method of informing them that we can get.

    Then why not go the Reiser[3] way and require that an advertisement
    for the Free Software movement be printed out at every interactive
    invocation of a GNU derived GPLed program?

A long message at startup would be very inconvenient, simply for being
long, regardless of its meaning.  A section of the same length in a
manual would not cause any such inconvenience.  Nobody is "heavily
affected" by a few extra pages in a large manual.