Re: [DISCUSSION] SURVEY: Is the GNU FDL a DFSG-free license?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:51:39 -0500
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> 2. If DFSG should apply to documentation, what should be the disposition of
> GFDL according to DFSG?  (This is the question you asked.)
>
> I don't think that the answer to question two can be relevant unless we have
> established that the answer to question 1 is "yes".

While you're here, I wanted to know - you seem to feel that
documentation is inherently different than software in the context of
Freeness, and that the licensing of each of those should be evaluated
under different guidelines.

In what way do you find that the GFDL treats the documentation portions
of a GFDL'd documentation differently than the GPL treats software?

The non-documentation portions are covered by Invariant sections, and
are obviously treated differently. But from what I've read, the GFDL
treats the documentation itself in a fairly Free manner (barring the
obfuscation clauses). How do you see it as being different?