Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:33:37 -0400 (EDT), Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:14:45 -0400 (EDT), Walter Landry
>> <wlandry@ucsd.edu> said:
>> > The .orig.tar.gz files only have to be purged of non-free stuff
>> > if that stuff can't be distributed at all.  AIUI, it is perfectly
>> > acceptable to have non-free stuff in the .orig.tar.gz file that
>> > is removed by the debian patch.
>>
>> Not if the orig.tar.gz is to live in main. And if the orig.tar.gz
>> is not in main, none of the binaries derived from it can be in
>> main.

> Hmm.  In

>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200304/msg00451.html

> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>> I don't have any problem with an .orig.tar.gz that includes
>> redistributable but non-DFSG-free stuff, as long as (eg) the
>> .diff.gz removes those files.

	Though I quake in my shoes at contradicting the RM, that does
 not make sense. If I have
deb-src http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian sid main
 in my /etc/apt/sources.list, and I do apt-get source foo, and I get
 non-free stuff, then Debian main just send me non free software in
 the orig.tar.gz.

	Moreover, some non-free material makes it illegal to sell the
 code even bundled with other software, and guess what: Debian CD's
 contain source code, and people are not used to inspecting software
 in main to see if selling the CD would violate the law.

	Indeed, shipping non free stuff on an official CD violates the
 social contract; and people should not lose sight of the fact that
 Debian does include source code.

> on the other hand, the FTP admins disagree

>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200305/msg00092.html

> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>> I once had a big old nasty flamewar with the FTP admins that was
>> tangentially related to this point, but the FTP admins and I agreed
>> that having non-free source code in a package's .orig.tar.gz was
>> unacceptable even if it wasn't "used for anything" and did not
>> appear in any binary packages.

	I would have to agree with that.

> So I concede the point.  In any case, making a new orig.tar.gz isn't
> any harder than having the diff take it out.

	Quite so.

	manoj

--
If he should ever change his faith, it'll be because he no longer
thinks he's God.