Re: Documentation and Sarge's Release Critical Policy

Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:00, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I'd rather we stick to our principles, but clearly there isn't a
> > consensus on that.
>
> That's a low blow.
>
> So what's your timeline for migration? Move Emacs into non-free today?
> The .orig.tar.gz files contain what we consider non-DFSG-free files, and
> .orig.tar.gz files in main and contrib are supposed to meet the DFSG.

I don't think is the case.  The .orig.tar.gz files only have to be
purged of non-free stuff if that stuff can't be distributed at all.
AIUI, it is perfectly acceptable to have non-free stuff in the
.orig.tar.gz file that is removed by the debian patch.

> With a migration plan, Emacs _the program_ has a chance of staying in
> Debian.

Simply removing all of the man and info pages is not a difficult task.
If the emacs maintainers can't handle that before November, then I'll
happily consign emacs to non-free [1].

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu

[1] Yes, I do use emacs.  For example, to write this email.