Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:17:32AM +0200, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> Program (code) is not of great value outside computer, except examples
> which usually belong to the documentation. I will not buy a book with
> printed source code of Linux kernel, even if it will be very cheap :)

Ah, but would you buy a book with printed source code of the C compiler LCC?
I did.  It is written in a literate programming style, which means that
the comments actually explain how the compiler works and how its parts
fit together.

  A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation
  by Christopher Fraser and David Hanson
  Published by The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., 1995
  ISBN 0-8053-1670-1

I would recommend this book if the compiler were free :-)

I'm not claiming that the *book* is software; it's quite hard, as
I found out when I dropped it on my foot.  But its source code
certainly is.

Richard Braakman