Re: Inconsistencies in our approach

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:38:43 -0700, John H Robinson, IV <jaqque@debian.org> said:
>
> > as a mostly passive observer at this point, the only data we are
> > missing is a clear working definition to separate out Software,
> > Data, and Documentation.
>
> 	My feeling is that there may not be any such clear cut
>  distinction.

i am going to try to take a stab at it:

hardware: physical computing devices
software: logical information stored by hardware devices that can be
used for computation.

this allows us to break software into three (or more) areas:

program: software that provides instructions to hardware

data: input to software

documentation: information about software or data

Drawer 'O': software that does not fit in the above three categories.

this allows us to neatly sidestep the whole issue, because _online_
documentation would fit in one of the above four categories of software.
Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software[0]. so if we never include dead-
tree documentation as part of Debian, then we can easily and safely
apply the DFSG to any bit of program/data/documentation/Drawer 'O' that
is ever uploaded to the archive.

    [0] Debian Social Contract, Point 1.
        <URL:http://www.debian.org/social_contract>

comments welcome.

credit to Sergey V. Spiridonov for inspiring the above idea.

-john