Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Sergey Spiridonov <sena@hurd.homeunix.org> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
>> Please explain, other than the FDL's creation, what has changed in the
>> nature of software and documentation that makes the DFSG outdated?
> 1. It seems that DFSG does not make clear which version of 2 possible
> "software" definitions it mean. Probably there was only one definition
> at the time DFSG was created (or one definition was just missed).

There are not two possible correct definitions of "software".  The word
is not equivalent to "computer programs" at all.

> 2. New license which depends on differnce between software and
> documentation appears.

Where?

(The FDL does not depend on such a difference: it wasn't designed for
documentation to be free software, and seems to be impossible to use
for such.  IIRC, the FDL even has different conditions for when the
documentation is software itself, compared to paper and ink.)