Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

Sergey V. Spiridonov <sena@hurd.homeunix.org> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>
> >>I feel that GPL will be offered next in sacrifice to the sacred cow. Of
> >> course, GPL is not *absolutely* free!
>
> >I agree with you.  I'm also afraid that the next release of the GPL
>
> [snip]
>
> > Maybe in your world it does.  WE have managed quite well without
> > worrying about market share.
>
> This would be a good point if it will be true. But, GPL software is
> essential part of Debian. So Debian did not managed yet. Well, I do not
> know, what "WE" means...

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the GFDL?
We, Debian, have done quite well without worrying about the distro's
market share.  If you mean to say that we are riding on the market share
of GPL software that is not of our doing, then you are quite right.

But this is _GPL'ed_ software which seems to be doing quite well without
sacrificing its license for more market share.  You can't possibly argue
that GFDL documentation has played a role in increasing GNU market share?

> >>The freedom can be traded. That is important point.
> > Except that we are resisting that trade, while you are cheer-leading it.
>
> I don't hear a lot of voices against GPL in main, so better if you will
> replace "we are" with "I am".

Are are implying that I am against the GPL?  If so, read what I said
over again.

Peter