Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

WV>Op wo 13-08-2003, om 14:20 schreef Sergey Spiridonov:
WV>> Yes, encrypted system will be a problem if I will try to sell encrypted
WV>> FDL books, so that one can read, but not copy or modify his copy.

WV>What if you'd want to create a custom Debian installation CD which
WV>immediately contains some passwords on it, so that you'd have an easy
WV>time installing a lot of systems?

WV>You may want to protect those passwords by encrypting them somehow; and
WV>if encrypting the CD is the easiest way, you'd probably do so.

WV>Unfortunately, if you'd be distributing those CD's to some people
WV>so that they could help you install the systems, you'd
WV>technically be in breach of the FDL's terms.

	Yes, of course. And, I think, not just "technically".

	Please note, that your scheme differs from the well-known
scheme of selling encrypted books in exactly one point: assumed fair
intention of distributor. Bud fair intention is not a thing you can
define in licence.