Re: ISO 3166 copyright

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 01:42:53PM +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
> On 2003-05-28 20:21:55 -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Bah, there's no copyright in those lists; just like there's no copyright
> > in the listings of the phone book.

> Phone book data _is_ copyrighted in Germany.

But it shouldn't be.  Copyrightability of factual lists is a stupidity
in kind with software patents, and just like software patents, we should
ignore such copyright claims unless someone presses the issue, in order
to avoid legitimizing such an interpretation.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer